Study Restrictions for Internationals

Dallas is the main campus approved to enroll F-1 student visa and J-1 exchange students. If you are applying to come on a student F (we are no longer accepting J-1 exchange students), you must study full-time and attend the Dallas or Houston campus.  Study at the extension sites of San Antonio, Washington DC, Austin, and Atlanta is strictly prohibited by immigration law. Proof of status must be submitted to the International Student Office

Those who are in B-1 or B-2 status may not attend school, as this would constitute a violation of their visitor visa status.  If you are currently a non-immigrant worker residing in the U.S., you may apply to study at an extension campus only for non-degree or part-time purposes and if your study is incidental to your main purpose (your visa category) for being in the US.

Proof would include at least the following:

  1. photocopy of the identity page and the expiration date page (if different) of your passport;
  2. photocopy of current visa or receipt of status notification or receipt notice from USCIS; and
  3. photocopy of EAD Card (if applicable)
  4. an approval letter from the body responsible for overseeing the main visa activity (e.g. employer) certifying that the visa activity is currently valid, and that non-degree, part-time, and short-term study at DTS would not interfere with the applicant’s main visa purpose for employment.

Student Course Load

To comply with government regulations, F-1 and J-1 students must register and complete at least 9 credit hours per semester (master’s degrees), and 6 hours (doctoral degrees). Students who receive scholarships are required to complete a total of 30 credit hours per year. The USCIS receives regular notification of any student failing to maintain full-time status. If a F-1 or J-1 student fails to maintain full time status during any semester, they are subject to I-20/DS2019 termination and deportation.

Studying Off Campus

F-1 international students are permitted to study at the Dallas and Houston campuses only.

For an international already living in the US on a non-student visa, they may be approved to study part-time, if the study does not conflict with their full-time pursuit. They must provide documentation that their visa status is current.

For F-1 internationals living within the US and studying full-time, no more than the equivalent of one on-line/distance education class or 3 credits per semester, may be counted towards the ‘’full course of study’’ requirement.

For J-1 internationals living within the US must take 9 hours on campus to meet the “full course of study” requirement.

If living overseas, internationals can enroll in as many online courses as DTS allows.