Student HUB


Study Restrictions

Dallas is the main campus approved to enroll F-1 student visa and J-1 exchange students. If you are applying to come on a student F (we are no longer accepting J-1 exchange students), you must study full-time and attend the Dallas or Houston campus. Study at the extension sites of San Antonio, Washington DC, Austin, and Atlanta is strictly prohibited by immigration law. Proof of status must be submitted to the International Student Office.

Those who are in B-1 or B-2 status may not attend school, as this would constitute a violation of their visitor visa status. If you are currently a non-immigrant worker residing in the U.S., you may apply to study at an extension campus only for non-degree or part-time purposes and if your study is incidental to your main purpose (your visa category) for being in the US.

Proof would include at least the following:

  • photocopy of the identity page and the expiration date page (if different) of your passport;
  • photocopy of current visa or receipt of status notification or receipt notice from USCIS; and
  • photocopy of EAD Card (if applicable)
  • an approval letter from the body responsible for overseeing the main visa activity (e.g. employer) certifying that the visa activity is currently valid, and that non-degree, part-time, and short-term study at DTS would not interfere with the applicant’s main visa purpose for employment.